Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Christmas Letter 2013

Merry Christmas!
                                                                                                              
I hope this letter finds you and your loved ones well and blessed with good health, peace, and joy. I always feel a little sheepish about writing Christmas letters just about me and me alone, but I convince myself that since I love hearing news about you so much that I figure you’d feel the same about hearing about me, right? Ha ha! I have been truly blessed with many grand and wonderful opportunities this year . . . as usual.

First, China. Yes! I went to China for five weeks this past summer. It was a mini study abroad of sorts. I went with seven other graduate students in my Master of Public Administration program, as well as a professor, and an administrator – also from BYU. The professor that went with us taught an Ethics for Management class to us and eight Chinese students at Xiamen University in Xiamen, China – that’s where we were home-based. We were in class on Monday and Wednesday mornings. It was so fascinating to hear the Chinese students’ perspective on ethics – here’s one good example: they will break any law or rule for the sake of helping a family member or really good friend because helping that family member or friend is more important to them than obeying the law or rule. Interesting, huh? Then every Thursday we would fly out to a different city in China for the weekend. Xian to see the Terra Cotta Warriors; Hong Kong; Shanghai; Guilin to see those amazing mountains; and Beijing for a week at the end of our trip to see the Great Wall of China and the Forbidden City. I picked up a tiny bit of Mandarin: thank you, yes, and no. I also learned their hand signs for numbers so I could barter with the vendors. By the end, I could recognize the Mandarin characters for exit and entrance. I can’t say that I ever got really good at hand washing my clothes in my hotel shower, but I did learn a few tricks. Lastly, I became much more grateful for a few luxuries we enjoy in the United States: timely air travel, potable tap water, unrestricted access to websites, and queues to check out at the market or get on the bus.

Secondly, I graduated with my Master’s in Public Administration in August. Three years in the making and it feels quite nice to be done with homework. Although, I already miss the classes and my classmates. To toot my horn a little, I guess I’ll share the big news that came with my graduation: I graduated valedictorian of my class, and I had to speak at convocations for my college, the Marriott School of Business. Speaking was quite scary since that was the biggest audience I’ve ever addressed – approximately 1,200 people! But I survived and lots of people took pity on me and told me that I did a good job. 

Lastly, no year of mine would be complete without an epic backpacking trip to the Uintas, bagging the peak of Mount Nebo, running into a ton of animals while mountain biking (a black bear, a skunk, a moose, and a badger), and taking up cross-country skiing! And the cherry on top: I endured a little bachelorette show of my own earlier this year when I was going out with three or four different guys for a few weeks and came out with one bachelor that made it through my gauntlet.  We’ve been dating and having a blast together ever since. The lucky bachelor is Mike Kniephof, originally from Denver, and he is so wonderful. I’ll finally have someone to kiss at midnight on New Year’s!! Ha ha!

Well, that’s all I’ve got! Have a merry, merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I hope you get to spend some time with family and loved ones and cherish those moments.

Love you tons,

Jessika

1 comment:

Jen said...

I am glad you wrote a Christmas letter, even though I am reading it two months late. What a wonderful year. My brother studied abroad in Hong Kong and loved it!

Time to Retire this Blog

I regret to inform you all, that I've decided it is time to retire this blog. I blogged on here for nearly 11 years! It's crazy to t...