Monday, April 21, 2014

Fruita for Some Mountain Biking

Mike and I got some of our friends together and went to Fruita, Colorado for some mountain biking for Easter weekend. But.... Saturday morning it started raining in the wee hours of the night and didn't really stop until mid-afternoon. So, we dinked around camp and downtown Grand Junction for a while until it stopped raining. When it stopped raining, we played some lawn games that Mike brought at a park to see if the weather would hold and maybe give some trails a chance to dry out.

Thankfully the weather did hold so we went went to the Kokapelli trails and rode Horse Thief and Steve's loop late in the afternoon. Between those two rides, we got about 16 miles in, which is a good day!

The next day we drove out to ride the Tabegauche area where we found two bike brands (Yeti and Specialized) holding demo days.... to which I caved and tried a full-suspenson, 27.5-inch-tire-size Yeti for our ride that day. For free. We were out for just about 3 hours riding The Ribbon, Gunny's Loop, and some of the other trails within the Tabegauche trail system. I needed that much time to get used to the bike and then to kind of really like it. The full-suspension bike really does help a lot. I was much braver about doing rocky technical sections of the trail since I wasn't being bucked around nearly as much as I would have been on my bike (which is a hard-tail). When we got back to the bike people at the parking lot, I asked how much the bike was and they said $4,900. Ha! Yeah. Excellent. I think my bike is still good enough for me and I still have fun with it....unless I can find a used one for less money in a few years....

I was delinquent with my picture taking and only took one picture of Mike and I on The Ribbon overlooking a canyon:

No comments:

Time to Retire this Blog

I regret to inform you all, that I've decided it is time to retire this blog. I blogged on here for nearly 11 years! It's crazy to t...