Friday, July 04, 2014

One Mad Momma Cow

On the fourth of July, Mike and I went for an early morning mountain bike ride up the Cottonwood trail in Diamond Fork Canyon. While up there we came across two adult female cows and their two calves. I mentioned to Mike just as we passed them how docile cows are - cuz they just sit there and stare at you while they chew their cud and we can ride on by with no problems with them. Little did I know how that statement would turn on me! Shortly after seeing those cows, we turned around and came back down the way we had and we came across those "docile" cows again. This time they were a bit down the trail and we were moving a little bit faster since we were going downhill. The adults got off the trail pretty quick, but the two calves just ran down the trail in front of us for a while. Eventually they got off the trail too so we really picked up speed at that point and headed down the trail at our normal speed. But a minute or two later, I heard a bunch of crazy mooing behind me so I looked back and . . . saw one of the two adult cows CHASING after us mooing wildly all the while!!! It was crazy. I freaked out. So I started pedaling to go even faster, which is scary when you're on a twisty, turny, rocky trail! I yelled at Mike to pick his speed up because a cow was chasing us and all he did was start laughing!! But he didn't have the cow right behind him, nor was he having the visions of the two ton cow ramming him and then trampling him! I was thinking of all my contingency plans.... could I jump off my bike and get a tree between us? Would she trample my bike? Would she give up when she couldn't get to me because of the tree? Or would I have to climb a tree?! Thankfully, I didn't have to resort to my backup plans because we maintained our distance and that fat momma cow tired out after a minute or two of chasing us, but she kept mooing wildly for a while after she quit chasing us! All we could think was she was either mad at us for chasing and scaring her calves and wanted to teach us a lesson, or else she thought we were still chasing her calves down the trail. Ha! We've biked past a bunch of cows, but we've never had one chase us before!

No comments:

Time to Retire this Blog

I regret to inform you all, that I've decided it is time to retire this blog. I blogged on here for nearly 11 years! It's crazy to t...