Monday, August 15, 2011

Momma Came to Town!

Mom coming to town was my excuse for doing some things I've always wanted to do around here.

First, we went to This is the Place Heritage Park. We toured Brigham Young's forest house which was on his experimental farm. They said that Brigham Young hosted President Ulysses S. Grant and Mark Twain in this home. It was quite the place. We toured Heber C. Kimball's home, several small cabins (that held up to 13 people in the family!!), and visited many other shops. We also ate some yummy Farr ice cream at a shop there that took Mom back down memory lane to Ogden where she remembers going to an ice cream parlor shop to eat Farr ice cream. We looked at many other historical buildings there and watched some of the Civil War activities/re-enactments they had going on. Then we visited the gift shop and I helped mom resist buying any more nick-knacks. Afterwards we went a little shoe shopping - I had some luck, but mom didn't. :(

This is the Place Park - in front of the social hall
The famous statue at This is the Place Park
Second, we went to Sundance's Sound of Music production in their outdoor amphitheater. We also took advantage of their BBQ before the production. It was so fun to eat our BBQ on picnic tables among the pine trees and by a little brook. Their BBQ was in serious want of some dessert, but it was very good otherwise. The production was wonderful! I loved Maria's personality - kind of more so than Julie Andrew's in the movie. We got rained on ... quite a bit actually, but the cast carried on with the show. The funny part is that the rain came exactly when the thunderstorm comes in the play - when all the kids come running up to Maria's room. The audience and the cast were all kind of laughing at the coincidence. I highly recommend fleece jackets and blankets! It totally kept us warm and dry even though the outer sides of our blank and jackets were soaking wet but it didn't soak down to our clothes. Nice.
Mom at the Sundance BBQ
Me at the Sundance BBQ

Sunday was truly our day of rest after our very full Saturday. Mom then left Monday morning to go visit Teri.

Thanks for the fun weekend, Mom!

No comments:

Time to Retire this Blog

I regret to inform you all, that I've decided it is time to retire this blog. I blogged on here for nearly 11 years! It's crazy to t...