Monday, January 30, 2012

Mundane Monday: Campus Devotionals

I'm going to try to bring back Mundane Mondays to highlight some of my more day-to-day activities. My life isn't made up entirely of exciting adventures. :)

On Tuesdays, BYU holds a devotional/forum for all of the students, faculty, and staff. We shut down the office and head over to the Marriott Center to watch them. We usually have faculty or campus administrators speak on religious subjects for devotionals, and every now and then we have a general authority from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (who sponsors BYU) come speak. And then on even more rare occasions we have famous authors, supreme courts justices, and senators and the like come speak at the forums.

I am expected to attend them. But there is one major problem: I sleep through them like nobody's business! Don't get me wrong - I love me a good nap every now and then. But I also kind of feel guilty for sleeping through them. In my many years of attending devotionals and forums, there have only been a handful of them for which I actually stayed awake - just on the merits of the speaker or the subject. In the recent past, I've resorted to playing games on my cell phone, thinking that would help me stay awake and it kind of did, but not for long and I missed a lot of the message. So I needed a new stay-awake activity.

Denise, a co-worker of mine, helped me get into crocheting a couple years ago, and then just last fall she told me about Knit-a-Square. It's a charity that requests help from knitters and crocheters to make blankets for AIDS orphans in Africa - except you can do it in bite sizes by just knitting or crocheting an 8-inch square! SO DOABLE!! And such a perfect stay-awake activity for me!! So I'm crocheting 8-inch squares during devotionals and forums, and I'm able to stay awake and pay attention to the message of the speaker! I might feel a little like an old lady doing this, but I don't care enough to quit doing it. Ha ha! The photo shows what I have done so far, and the darling little shoulder bag I use to carry my crocheting stuff in to devotional. And guess what. My friend, Janie, bought that shoulder bag for me while on her travels in . . . Africa ! Kind of appropriate don't you think? Yeah, I think this is some form of paying it forward, but back to the people that gave me this darling bag.

No comments:

Time to Retire this Blog

I regret to inform you all, that I've decided it is time to retire this blog. I blogged on here for nearly 11 years! It's crazy to t...