Monday, August 18, 2014

Denver to Visit Mike's Dad

Mike had been feeling an itch to drive out to his home town, Denver, to visit his dad, Marty. His dad still lives in the house that Mike pretty much grew up in. So when Mike invited me to go with him, I just had to go so I could see his old house, the town he grew up in, the old photos of Mike that surely his dad would still have hung up in his house (which he did not disappoint!), his old haunts, all of it. So we left on Thursday afternoon and arrived late Thursday night. I've never been or driven to Denver, and the drive along I-70 was amazing! All those steep passes and through all those mountains! I loved it. It was also fun to drive past a bunch of big Colorado ski resorts: Vail, Copper Mountain, and to see signs for Breckenridge, Aspen, and Steamboat Springs.

While there, we hung out with his dad by driving to the top of Mount Evans (which boasts the highest peak that has a paved road go all the way to the top - at 14,000 feet), driving around Rocky Mountain National Park and doing a 7-mile hike to Cascade Falls (where we saw an amazing and huge bull moose!). We also visited the flagship REI in Denver and went to dinner with Mike's sister-in-law. Then after spending a little time at the driving range with his dad on Sunday morning (where I actually hit some balls!), we headed home to Utah. Short but sweet trip.

Mike and his dad, Marty, at the top of Mount Evans
Marty and me at Rocky Mountain National Park




No comments:

Time to Retire this Blog

I regret to inform you all, that I've decided it is time to retire this blog. I blogged on here for nearly 11 years! It's crazy to t...