Monday, November 21, 2016

First Family Camping Trip!

We took Cora on her first camping trip this past weekend! It also happened to be her first snow and her first road trip. But we went south to the Saint George and Hurricane area where it was a little warmer. I was a bundle of nerves leading up to this first road trip and camping trip with Cora! But we packed up the car with all the necessary and unnecessary stuff to make the trip successful and as comfortable as possible. The road trip was definitely different from what we are used to: we had to stop every two hours to feed Cora and we'd end up sitting there for an hour or so since that's how long it takes to feed her. 



The first night of camping ended up being a bust because there was a bunch of wind up on Gooseberry Mesa where we hoped to camp, and it seemed to be everywhere else. So we checked into a local Best Western Hotel in Laverkin and went to dinner at Costa Vida. Cora did not take to the crib in the hotel very well at all, but in the end she slept okay.


The next morning we drove up to the Guacamole trails area where Mike went mountain biking first in the very frigid morning temperatures, and then after I finished feeding Cora, she and I went for a little hike on the same trail that Mike was riding.


We actually found that the Guacamole area had some pretty decent, at-large camping sites so we braved it and set up camp there for our second night. Then we drove down to the Jem trailhead where I went for a little ride, while Mike stayed back at the car with Cora. Our camping night wasn't too bad.... we made tin foil dinners over a fire, bundled Cora up, and hung out for as long as we could stand the cold. Then we all went to bed. We had Cora in her down bunting inside a little Big Bird sleeping bag that I used to sleep in as a baby/child with another sleeping bag partially folded over her. She woke up twice during the night to be fed and did not like having her diaper changed in the cold of the middle of the night.... when it was 29 degrees!




Here is our little camper in our little campsite! This morning we met up with our friends, Katie and Lloyd, and they mountain biked with Mike on the Jem trail while Cora and I hung back at the car for a bit and then hiked on the Jem trail for a bit too. Then that afternoon, I rode with Katie and Lloyd on the Bearclaw Poppy trail while Mike hung out with Cora. After that we headed home! Overall, it was a pretty good experience, I think. :)


(This post was backdated to November 6, 2016, but it was written on January 22, 2017.)

No comments:

Time to Retire this Blog

I regret to inform you all, that I've decided it is time to retire this blog. I blogged on here for nearly 11 years! It's crazy to t...