Sunday, June 17, 2007

Furniture Shopping

With my move to a house my friend bought looming in August, I am beginning my furniture shopping now. That way I will buy what I like for sure and for the best price. Not all will agree with me what is the best price because I look at it as though this is my chance to get what I want and have it last. Which, by the way, is the same mentality I had when I bought my Honda--I had a certain amount I could afford and I would stay within those parameters, but I also knew exactly what I wanted. That is how my furniture shopping will happen. I think I have pretty much figured out what I want, but I thought I would solicit some feedback.

Beds first:

I would say this one from Crate & Barrel is my favorite so far--Balcony bed. I know for sure I want a sleigh bed and I am pretty sure I want a metal one because they seem less formidable and will go with all different types of wood. I also think I like this one better than the next one because it is smaller scale.
And then there is this sleigh bed from Pottery Barn--the Camille Iron Bed. This headboard is nearly as tall as I am! I think that is why I prefer the Crate & Barrel bed over this one.


Dressers, Nightstands, & Mirrors

I will probably struggle with this decision more than the bed, but I think I prefer the following IKEA collection with the cleaner lines and the lower cost. I really kind of like the silver/pewter/whatever color of the mirror but will it clash with a dark metal bed? Or can the dark metal of the bed match the dark woods? This is the Hemnes collection:

And then here are some from Crate & Barrel that I like quite a bit too. I do worry just a bit about the quality of the furniture from IKEA . . . Maybe someone has some information for me? These are actually black rather than a dark wood like the IKEA furniture. I like the clean lines of the IKEA stuff, but I also like the charm of this collection. And I love the oval mirror. Anyway here is the Balcony collection:


And just for kicks check out this adorable duvet cover from Crate & Barrel. It is a little modern with the paisley, but it is light, has lots of colors to coordinate with, and I think it is pretty darn cute.

3 comments:

Jesse said...

I like your pics from Crate and Barrel. I agree with you about Ikea's clean lines- it all looks so tidy. But too much Ikea makes things look sterile and uninviting to me. That's why I love places like Pottery Barn and C & B. Their stuff is pretty simple and clean, but it still has class and personality.

Ahh, furniture shopping. And it sounds like you've officially decided on the new pad... I remember you telling me about this option. I hope it works out well. July is the moving month right? Right around the corner!

christianna said...

hey! *cute* furniture! i know i am such a flake about keeping in contact ... but just wanted to drop you a quick line and let you know i am catching up on all the blogs ... sounds like you are having a great time. and the pics are great, too.

i am jealous of your furniture shopping -- someday i, too, will purchase furniture ... :P

christianna said...

okay, so my comments about the furniture. i really like the crate & barrel bed -- it's clean and simple. and i think the crate & barrel dresser/etc is perfect. because it is black, i think it will be great with the bed.

that's my two cents.

Time to Retire this Blog

I regret to inform you all, that I've decided it is time to retire this blog. I blogged on here for nearly 11 years! It's crazy to t...