Saturday, July 12, 2008

Renaissance Women

My friends and I, on occasion, call ourselves Renaissance Women. Apparently, there are several definitions of a Renaissance Woman, but to us - a Renaissance Woman is one with many and varying talents and interests. Those talents and interests may be domestic, musical, athletic, intellectual, etc. She is continually trying new things and finding balance between work, play, friends, and family. She crosses all spectrums of types of people easily & fluently - high maintenance, low maintenance, athletic, prissy, educated debater, silly tease, mountain-dweller, city-dweller, etc. You get the drift.

Here is a weekend run-down in the life of this Renaissance Woman and her Renaissance
Women friends (and this weekend is a perfect example!):

I jet home from a fulfilling day at work. Change my clothes and pack my backpack full of my sleeping bag (that I affectionately call my "glow-worm"), sleeping pad, backpacking stove, tarp to sleep on, oatmeal, biking clothing and shoes, biking helmet, some water bottles and escape out the door with my roommate Jen. We pick up Heather and head up to Coalville for the Echo Triathlon that Jen is going to participate in.

Eat at a
questionable American/Mexican restaurant named Rodriguez's Polar King in Coalville - for the thrill of trying a local "mom & pop" cafe. And actually, the milkshakes were divine!

We find a great spot of weed covered land between two baseball fields - yes, I said two baseball fields and set up camp. Camp consists of a tarp on the ground and hopefully sufficiently far enough away from the sprinkler heads that are bound to go off in the night, and slap our sleeping pads and sleeping bags on the tarp. We jump into our bags wearing all the clothes we wore on the drive up and the ones we intended to wear the next day (or at least that is the case for me) - just for the good measure of packing light.


Get up at the crack of dawn to see Jen off and then Heather and I break out our backpacking stoves and boil some water to make our oatmeal breakfast.
Heather and I then change into our biking clothes and ride our road bikes down to Jen's Triathlon to watch her, cheer her on and take pictures. Go on another little bike ride while Jen is on her biking portion of her Triathlon. Come back in time to see her come in on her bike and begin the run portion.

After Jen finishes her Triathlon, ride our bikes back to the car and change our clothes between t
wo open car doors... cuz we're too lazy to walk down to the bathroom. Then drive home!

Then what did I do with the rest of my Saturday? I came home and got cleaned up, unpacked from the camping trip and hit the road.

First "To Do List" item: get a pedicure and manicure. Mmmm. I haven't had one in 2 years or more!! It felt so good to be pampered. It was truly appreciated and now my toenails and fingernails look so good! I can even appreciate the pampering - right there with the stars and milky way I gazed at above me last night.

Second, I turned in my snowflake quilt for the Springville Museum of Art Quilt Show. And yes! I made that quilt - pieced it myself. Cross your fingers that it makes it into the show... and then if it does, go to the show and vote for it! As there is a People's Choice type award.

And then the cherry on top of my weekend is when Jen and I jumped her car since her battery was giving her trouble.

Camping, biking, one triathlete, pedicure, manicure, enter a quilt show, jump a bad car battery. Wouldn't that be your definition of a Renaissance Woman? Yeah, pretty much amazing.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I love the quilt! Are you going to sell it to me??? ;)

Jesse said...

Agreed. You are a Ren. woman, if ever I knew one. I love that quilt.

Time to Retire this Blog

I regret to inform you all, that I've decided it is time to retire this blog. I blogged on here for nearly 11 years! It's crazy to t...