Sunday, June 07, 2009

Life List Achievement: Ride a Century

My good friend, Janie, and I did it! We rode a full century, 103 miles, on our road bikes! Janie has done it before, but I hadn't.

We participated in the Little Red Riding Hood Century Ride that they hold every June up in Cache Valley in Utah. It is a women only ride and super fun. They held a
luau the night before and we definitely partook of the yummy luau food that night. And we picked up our registration packets and I picked up my jersey. I ordered the jersey thinking it might be fun to have it but I told myself that I could only get the jersey if I rode the full century. And we did! I deserve my jersey!! :)

Saturday
morning, we woke up to rain. Ugh. That was going to be bummer deal to ride through the rain. The weather forecast said it would be partly cloudy in the morning but then scattered thunderstorms would roll in around 11 am and stay for the rest of the day. So the ride was not going to be fun. But! The weather cleared up just as we started the ride at 7:30 in the morning. It was definitely a little chilly, but it warmed up and then guess what! The thunderstorms never came in!! We had a mean headwind for the last 40 miles, but a sweet tailwind for the first 60 miles.

The ride was beautiful and they had some yummy snacks about every 20 miles. We rode from Wellsville, Utah by the mouth of Sardine Canyon all the way up to Preston, Idaho and then back down to Wellsville. I felt great for the first 60 miles, and then I started to really feel the fatigue as we fought the headwind. And then after mile 80, my knees really started to bark at me. But we finished! And thank goodness for drafting. We had several women ride with us and help pull and draft. A couple times we drafted off a large group of women and that was fabulous! It was so much fun!

And then we crossed the finish line and had our picture taken with the Big Bad
Wolf!! :)

2 comments:

Jesse said...

You know you are the real deal when you can make a bike helmet look cute.

Way to go, Jess!

Our Ohana said...

Jess, you are my hero!

Time to Retire this Blog

I regret to inform you all, that I've decided it is time to retire this blog. I blogged on here for nearly 11 years! It's crazy to t...