Sunday, March 14, 2010

This Week's Headlines

If my life were a newspaper, this week would have several big headlines: 
  • I finally got a calling at church! I've lived in my ward and new condo for nearly 4 months, but they must have known the ward was going to split and so postponed giving me a calling... and home teachers... and visiting teachers.... and a visiting teaching route of my own. Church membership is really sad, and lonely, without having home teachers and visiting teachers/teachees. So my calling.... is Relief Society Secretary. I'm super excited! I'm excited to have a way to get to know the sisters in my ward. I've struggled to figure out how to begin a friendship with married women and especially married women with children - or even single mothers - because single people find our commonalities in work, hobbies, activities, and can easily give of our time to go do something with a person just met.... all things that won't be common with a mother of children. At least, that's my assumption.... maybe an erroneous assumption. But either way, I'm nervous to ask a mother to ditch her children and husband to come hang out with me so she and I can be friends. Relief Society activities have kind of provided an avenue of making friends... so I'll continue with those.... but now I can add the avenue of my calling and getting to know sisters via it. Sweet!

  • I received an award at work on Friday! It's called the Staff & Administrative Employee Recognition Award. It is given based on a nomination made by another employee when they think you've exhibited one of the values that is tied with our mission and vision. I was nominated by the Associate Dean of Students for some work I did with her back in my old job as an Area HR Consultant - she nominated me for the value of Exceeding Customer Expectations. So amazing! The award came with a really cool-looking gyroscope-globe clock with my name and award on it, $100 cash, and a $100 gift-card to some restaurants of my choice - and I chose the one for Temple Square Hospitality, which includes The Roof, The Garden, and The Lion House. Yum yum!

  • After what seems like forever, at least a year or two, I've finally bought some ink cartridges for my printer here at home. I just never print anything anymore! But now that I'm the Relief Society Secretary and will need to do rolls and whatnot.... I had to have some ink. :) (Yeah - so that's kind of a funny headline.)
  • Oh. And I changed my blog mast again. :) 
 

7 comments:

Mary said...

Okay, about your first headline. Women who are married need friends just like single people do! So don't make the assumption that those women won't want to be your friend! Sure, you'll have to listen about their kids and what not, but hopefully they will also listen about your life - friends can be good friends without being in the same circumstance!

Anonymous said...

Love your new blog mast! AND I completely agree with Mary. Women need women friends, always. They always need girl time, away from hubby and kids. Finding a new friend to share that time with is great! And I think you're going to be an excellent RS Secretary - you've got that calling in the bag :)

Unknown said...

Okay, here are my two bits to go with Mary and Meagan! They are exactly right. One of my best friends in my ward is a single mom. Another is an older woman with all her kids gone and no husband. Girls time is just that. And we have so many different things to offer each other - skills, experiences, perspectives, you name it. Besides, your house may become the hang out for the very reason that there are no kids or husbands to distract from a really good Pride and Prejudice session! Besides, you won that great gift card! Everyone will want to be your friend! Congrats on the award.

Jesse said...

1. Big dittos on what everyone already said about befriending your married mommy sisters. I would only add that you are completely irresistible and will have a boat load of compadres in no time. In the time since I've been a mom, we've only lived in one ward (for about 9 months) that had young moms like me in it. Most of my friends through church over the last 5 years have been women who are in completely different chapters of their lives. It is wonderful! And I was always too glad to have an excuse to leave the kids with Cori and get out with a buddy. "It's a Relief Society thing hun... I really should go..."

2. Congrats on the award! And great choice for the restaurant card.The Roof! The Lion House! Hurrah!

3. Love your new mast.

a bunch of BS said...

Don't be nervous about asking a mother to ditch her kids. If they're the awesome kind of mom, like I am, they LIVE for chances to ditch the kids! And I personally love going out with people who don't have kids because then I don't have to talk about kid things or mom things. So often when I'm with other moms, even when the kids aren't there, the talk always ends up devolving into kid talk. I love being able to talk about other interests or interesting social topics and it's sometimes easier to do that with friends who don't have kids.

Natalie said...

RS sec would be a blast! love the new header - and how was "leap year"?

Colette and Lance said...

Yeah for your new calling! I am the RS secretary and it is the best way to get to know people in the ward. Also you will get to see and hear some incredible things as being a part of your RS presidency. Have a blast!

P.S.- You will need some backup ink for your printer. =)

Time to Retire this Blog

I regret to inform you all, that I've decided it is time to retire this blog. I blogged on here for nearly 11 years! It's crazy to t...