Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Graduation Celebrations!

Graduation was stressful! And really a lot of fun. Mom and I went to Commencement on Thursday and it's a good thing I went because that's where I discovered that I had the wrong color hood. I had a chance to get it changed out before Convocations on Friday, where I was.... speaking! Yes. Speaking. I was given the honor to give the student address at the Marriott School's Convocations. Giving that student address is why graduation was so stressful. I had to write the address, practice it, be nervous about it, stew over how I'd be speaking to the largest audience that I've ever spoken to, and it all had to be profound and succinct enough to fit into a three to four-minute talk! Thankfully, it went pretty well. And everyone was so nice to say I did a good job. 
Here is my talk in case you are interested in what I had to say: 

"When I graduated with my Bachelor’s degree ten years ago, I celebrated with style. I went on a cruise. I moved into a condo that didn’t have an apartment number. I got a big girl bed. I thought, “Never again will I be made to do homework.” For a while I was satisfied with working, spending all the fabulous money I was making, and going on grand adventures. And then I discovered that I missed learning. Determined to still not do any homework though, I took up new hobbies like canyoneering, dutch ovening, researching my family history, taking piano lessons, mountain biking, and myriad other hobbies. A little later on, I felt I needed to do something more meaningful than collect another hobby . . . like go back to school for a graduate degree. And so I did. I got so much more out of it than I anticipated, because I discovered that I love learning and that the education I’ve gained will enhance every role I may play in life.

"I think Socrates sums up my thoughts better than I can when he said, “Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel.” I love the imagery of that quote: a flame, lasting forever, growing, and consuming everything around it. I might have thought my vessel was filled up after I finished my bachelor’s degree, and I might party it up a little to celebrate graduating with my master’s, but I’ll never stop learning. Obtaining both of my degrees taught me that lesson: to love learning. And the more I learn the more I realize I don’t know nearly as much as I think I do. The Lord promises and warns us of the following, which I think applies to learning in general, “I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little; and blessed are those who hearken unto my precepts, and lend an ear unto my counsel, for they shall learn wisdom; for unto him that receiveth I will give more; and from them that shall say, We have enough, from them shall be taken away even that which they have” (2 Nephi 28:30). 

"I’ve also found, in my own life and in the lives of my family and loved ones, that the education we gained while attending school here at BYU has helped us in every role we’ve had so far. The education we’ve gained isn’t limited to just academic learning, but also spiritual and social learning and general life experiences. I was a Zoology major for my undergrad and yet I haven’t done a single thing with that specific knowledge base. At the same time, I’ve been able to magnify my church callings and strengthen my testimony because of the study habits and work ethic I gained here. I think I have better people skills because of the learning opportunities I had on how to hold tough conversations with teammates and roommates. On the flip side, I also learned how I’m supposed to serve, support, and love the people around me, and consequently I have some of the dearest relationships I’ve ever had in my life thus far. Sometimes I get this notion in my head that the education I’ve gained requires me to go off and save or conquer the world. And then I remember “. . . that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass" (Alma 37:6). Because of the things we’ve learned here at BYU, we can have a positive impact on others through little actions on our part; whether it be in our role as spouses, mothers, fathers, siblings, visiting and home teachers, citizens, neighbors, and friends. Our education will enhance our seemingly “little” roles as much as it will the bigger and more visible roles we may play.

"May we ever continue to kindle the flame of learning and remember that it benefits us in every role of life. We’ve entered, we’ve learned, and now we have the opportunity to go forth to serve. Congratulations to all of you!"
And... I guess for posterity's sake, I'll mention that my  name was listed in the convocations program so many places: for speaking, for graduating with high distinction, for receiving the Lennis M. Knighton Award (which is given to the EMPA student with the highest GPA in the graduating class), and for being a member of Beta Gamma Sigma. It's really crazy! Because I feel like I barely graduated with my dignity when I graduated with my Bachelor's Degree. But I guess I found my niche in this Master's program since I did so well! I never would have dreamed that I would graduate with a 4.0 GPA. :)

After convocations, my family and Mike and I went to dinner at La Jolla Groves. It was wonderful! Mom, Dad and Joan, Jill and Mike, Teri and Kelly, and my Mike celebrated with me. 

Saturday night, Mom, Mike, and I went to Sundance's Outdoor Amphitheater production of Annie Get Your Gun. It was such a blast. The show was great. The company was wonderful. And Sundance is just plain beautiful. 


I'm laughing pretty hard here because Mike wouldn't smile for the pic, until I tickled him! 

2 comments:

Elke said...

That's awesome, Jess! You've just bloomed so brightly. I'm really excited for you. Your life has been such an adventure, but only because you have made it one. You certainly don't settle for letting life just go by. You're an inspiration.

Jesse said...

I'm not the least bit surprised by the accolades you received at graduation. You are amazing! So glad you celebrated in style. Congratulations!

Time to Retire this Blog

I regret to inform you all, that I've decided it is time to retire this blog. I blogged on here for nearly 11 years! It's crazy to t...