That experience coupled with other recent happenings has me in an uncustomary emotional state right now. But while I was driving around Provo, running some errands, I listened to a couple of Cherie Call songs. She is an LDS singer/songwriter. I don't know that I love all of her music, but these two songs (and one other) really ring true to me. I hope she doesn't mind me quoting some of her lyrics in my blog as they really moved me and gave me peace during my lunch hour today.
Holding On:
You can't keep a harvest moon, it fades away all too soonHow to Move a Mountain:
And even the trees let go of their leaves much quicker than you'd ever choose
So many people say goodbye, I see those teardrops in their eyes
And I start to wonder how I'd live without love
And I'm glad I never have to try
Cause hardly anything lasts forever anymore
But there will always be a few things that I'm gonna keep fighting for
I'm holding on to my father's love
And my mother's faith in God above
She says "We believe in you," and "never give up your dreams."
When the whole world's letting go
I'll keep holding on
When I was young I heard the stories
About the people who could make the mountains flee
And every now and then, someone would tell me
I could do the same if I believed
So one summer night, I looked out my window
And I closed my eyes and listened to the wind blowAnd I tried to move a mountain
I wished for it to crumble at my feet
I tried one thing after another
but I couldn't shake a leafI never knew that the mountain
Had a lesson it would teach
Cause as tall as I got, I still lived in its shadow
I watched it tower over me
Till one summer day, I thought I heard it call me
So I closed my eyes and then changed into my blue jeansAnd I learned how to move a mountain
It was harder than I dreamed it would be
But I set one foot down past the other
Till the mountain was under meAnd I felt like I could see forever
When the truth hit my senses suddenly
This mountain wasn't nearly the first one that I'd moved
God had seen my victory
Every time I put my weaknesses behind me
And I close my eyes and let His mercy find meI know how to move a mountain
I have to fall down on my knees
Then I get back on my feet and head on upward
Till I make it to the peak
And the mountain's under me
So that is what gives me comfort right now: knowing that there are so many out there that still love me despite my shortcomings--my parents, my sisters and their families, and many more. Those that love us are there to support us when everything seems to be collapsing around us.
And then to also know that hard things can be overcome and a lesson can be learned through them.
In director's meeting this morning, my former boss shared a thought with us that I loved:
- Be underwhelmed
- Be excited about life
- Say to yourself, "Next time . . ." not "If only . . ."
- Think
3 comments:
Hey, put me on the list of people who love you! Thank you for sharing that experience.
I remember how important Amberly was to you. I am glad to hear that she was remembered at BYU.
Hey Jess...That is wonderful about Amber! They wouldn't happen to have some kind of copy for those friends who are not going to BYU? Since I was there helping take those pictures of Amber and the fish. Oh...that is one of my absolute favorite memories! She was an amazing girl...
Post a Comment