Sunday, May 06, 2007

The Rest of the Cali Story

Okay. So everyone has surely been patient enough with me for the past few days. Thank you!! I have a project (that must go unnamed until after May 20th) that I feel obligated to work on during every free minute that I have in my possession. I have to get it done by May 16th!! And once you know what it is that I am working on, you will be astonished that I essentially finished it in 3 weeks. I worked on it a bit before I went to visit Jesse in California and then I started again on it a week ago--so it adds up to 3 weeks of total time that will be spent on this project. So anyway, my true purpose in writing today is regarding my trip to visit Jesse in southern California.

First, I flew on JetBlue into Long Beach airport. So awesome! Long Beach airport is a crack up; it is seriously right out of the 1950s!! I promise. Have any of you seen the new version of The Parent Trap with Lindsey Lohan? Remember when she flies home from camp and her dad is there in front of the Napa Valley airport?? Long Beach looks exactly like it!! One photo is the front of the terminal where you drop off or pick up the passengers. And then the other is the back of the terminal with the portable that serves as the waiting area for gates--I took this picture from the ramp when I was getting on the plane. And yes!-That means I got on and off the plane straight onto the tarmac. And you guess what else!! The luggage carousal was outdoors with only a little tin roof to cover it. There were birds flying around the advertisements and carousal. Seriously, what a crack up! What a great start and ending to my fabulous trip.

Jesse picked me up and we drove straight back to her place and just caught up on everything--of course she went right for the juicy stuff from the beginning: boys in my life. Sadly, that particular juice is kind of bland. :o) And the cutest thing!! Grace, her 18-month old daughter would laugh and giggle right along with us throughout the entire conversation. So darling.

Wednesday morning, we woke up and left for Disneyland! I was so excited. $63 to get in. Wow. I thought their market was for families! But Jesse says they have some really good packages that make it a little more affordable. We went on a ton of rides and enjoyed a load of food. Jesse sent me on the Indiana Jones ride and then also the Star Tours ride (that one actually sent my stomach for a little loop!). I was just like one of the little kids there because I haven't been to Disneyland since I was 8 years old! Some of it did come back to me--like the jungle boat tour--I remember going on that ride with my dad, mom and my sister Jill. I specifically remember the elephants spewing water. Little deja vu for sure. We were so tired by 6:30 that we went home--we didn't stay for the parade or the fireworks--if they had them at all. We just went home and enjoyed a little chick-flick--Memoirs of a Geisha--while her husband was at a baseball game with his deacons quorum.

Thursday morning we slept in and then we watch another chick-flick while Grace took her nap and then we went to the beach! It was really quite chilly by the time we got there--3:00. I didn't put any sunblock on and it was fine. Grace was so cute though--she just played in the sand while we hung out. At one point Grace picked up handfuls of and would dunk her face into the sand. It took both Jesse and I to clean her face, eyes and eyelashes of the sand. Jesse and her husband, Cori, cooked a yummy dinner of steak for me and one of Jesse's friends that also happened to be in town.

Friday we went to Hollywood Blvd. Nope. We didn't see any celebrities, but we did see a bunch of stars and one of my favorites--Tim McGraw!! The pic is the in the preview blog entry. We saw the Kodak Theater and the Chinese Theater. And we even enjoyed a little French cuisine in an outdoor mall there. And then we shopped along Rodeo drive--as if we were rich!! We mostly window shopped except at Tiffany's. We went in a ogled at the diamonds there. Truly--diamonds really are a girl's best friend. :o) (Men can have their dogs.) Anyway, we shopped at Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn, Lush, Anthropology (just for you Natalie!!!) and a bunch of other fun stores. If only we had thousands to spend and if I had a larger luggage piece than my carry-on size. Oh well. We watched my last chick-flick, that I brought along, that night to a dinner of pizza and yummmmmmy ice cream.Oh! And I loved the Poppies so much!! And the Cala Lillies. Jesse had some growing there in her apartment complex. I have never seen them growing like that!

And then my trip was at an end.
I think I could like the LA area . . . if and only if I had enough money to live there, travel to Utah for skiing every other weekend, and I am sure I could think of many other reasons why I would need a load of money . . . Ha!


Thanks so much for such a fabulous trip Jesse and Grace (and Cori). Phenomenal hostess for sure. :o)

1 comment:

Jesse said...

Ahhh. It was like another little mini vacation just reading about your trip here. Thanks for that. Again, you were the perfect house guest. We LOVED having you here. May I reiterate by saying that I L-O-V-E-D having you here. I'll let you know soon where you can visit us next summer...

Time to Retire this Blog

I regret to inform you all, that I've decided it is time to retire this blog. I blogged on here for nearly 11 years! It's crazy to t...