Jen and I went on a maiden and mini backpacking trip Friday night. We hiked up to Rock Creek Campground--a 3-mile hike from Rock Canyon Park trail head. It was so beautiful. And fairly difficult! I got into a pretty good groove after about 1 and a half miles--I had an energy boost or something because I didn't have to rest as much.
We arrived at a fairly decent spot around 9:30 at night, set up my tent and immediately got my new Jetboil backpacking stove boiling some water for a backpacking meal--Beef Stroganoff. Pretty good--it wasn't too nasty, except for the last bite in my bowl that was pure salt and pepper. Yuck! Ewww. Word of wisdom: don't drink your meal down to the last bite unless you have been diligent about stirring it while you eat it. Anyway. We got tired pretty quickly so we went to bed right after dinner.
About an hour and a half later I woke up to the sound footsteps and the light of a flashlight on our tent. It kind of freaked me out, but I was still half asleep and half awake so I couldn't be sure that I wasn't dreaming it so I just shrugged it off. And nothing more happened. I told Jen about it when we woke up in the morning and we were glad that it had rained some to cause us to bring in our stuff so this random guy couldn't swipe it and also with the rain-fly on my tent he wasn't able to see inside the tent so we were glad for that too. We ate our breakfast of oatmeal (yes, I got to use my Jetboil again!) and packed up. Just as we were about to throw our packs on and head out, this random guy appeared on the trail and just stood there and stared at us!!
So we hiked out and then went to breakfast at the Village Inn! It was a fabulous maiden trip: backpack was awesome, Jetboil was awesome! New Thermarest that I got for Christmas was marvelous, but the slope we slept on was not. That was one more added bonus to bringing the packs in the tent--we were able to prop up our feet some so we didn't slide too much. (Yeah, yeah, yeah. We probably could have found a better camp-spot, but we were tired and didn't care too much to hike further in the dark.)
We've got another backpacking trip planned soon! Yay!! I will SO be ready for Havasupai!!
1 comment:
Sounds like fun. There is nothing that compares to a good backpacking excursion! Glad your gear is working out!
Post a Comment