
But .... my piano teacher has an obsession with video-recording me playing some songs! And she keeps dropping hints about the upcoming recital. Can I tell you how much I hate recitals? I hated them in elementary school when I first took piano lessons and I hated them again when I took lessons in high school. And now... I hate being recorded while playing the piano for my teacher! She has video-taped me playing three songs now. And I have no choice in the matter! I told her when I first started and she offered this service that I didn't want it. So she talked me into it and just says, "You'll thank me later." and "Your kids will love this some day!" Ugh. Well, it took three tries to finally get a good recording of Greensleeves a couple weeks back. And then today... well today she recorded me for two songs! It took three tries to finally get Amazing Grace.... and then the worst yet.... innumerable tries to get Tumbalalaika!! I knew that song so well the night before! I knew it without the camera rolling. But as soon as she would hit record on that evil contraption I would freak out and it seriously took me 10 or 12 tries to finally get a good recording of it with acceptable errors. Ugh.
And of course I couldn't let it beat me. I had to keep trying so I could conquer it even though I was getting nervous and frustrated and my self-esteem was plummeting with each muddled attempt. I got so nervous. I was sweating all over - even my feet were sweating!
So that is my piano lesson trauma. I guess, overall, it wasn't really all that bad. But! It just reaffirms my loathing for recitals or anything of the sort. I would like to take lessons for at least 6 months or a year before I have to play for recitals or the like - I just need a little practice time to get my confidence up!
2 comments:
Ahhh. Recitals. At the risk of sounding preachy, I'd like to share a few thoughts. :)
Though it seems so truly dreadful, a recital is a good thing. It forces you to do some things you might otherwise not have done. Like completing a piece, memorizing a piece, or playing in front of a lot of people. It does for your piano efforts what deadlines do in other areas. And video taping is a good way to help sort through all your jitters before the actual live performance. Also a good thing.
That being said, I always disliked anticipating a recital. But the performance can be exhilerating, and the afterwords can be very rewarding.
Another thing. At the actual recital-- most of the people in attendance will be performees. They won't be listening to you play. They will be consumed with concentration over their own performance to come, or relieved to the point of distraction that their performance is over.
Sounds like you are making really good progress! You should feel so good about that. Don't worry about the recital! Wish I could be there.
Wish I could be with you all the time lately--all your fun plans!
jess ... i hear ya. though i actually like having to play for someone or for a recital (my harp recital is at the beginning of may ...), i definitely feel the pressure.
like last night at my lesson, for example, i played absolutely *horribly* this piece that i had been actually playing pretty well. but as soon as my teacher turned on the cd recorder, my fingers revolted and i don't think i've ever played that song so poorly. :S ...
oh, well ... just hope i can get it better at my recital.
Post a Comment