I am back from my trip to Washington DC! It was great. I had to attend a business conference there and knew I would for a couple months. And since I have some friends there, I tried to get in touch with them to come stay with them and see them.
Sunday was very windy and cold so we stayed indoors again. This time we went to the White House Visitor's Center, the National Archives (National Treasure, the movie, has it all wrong - it doesn't look anything like in the movie), the National Gallery again (but just for lunch), and then the Air and Space Museum. I didn't originally think we would go to the Air and Space Museum, but since the American History Museum is closed for renovation (until this summer!) we went there because they had some of the more popular items from the American History Museum there. I saw Abraham Lincoln's top hat, the ruby slippers from the Wizard of Oz,
Then my conference started on Monday and went, formally, through Tuesday. It was good. I learned some valuable things. I just don't always care for conferences because you have to sit there and listen to speakers all day long and try to stay awake! Luckily I had my sour breath mints with me so they helped to keep me awake. And I had to work really hard at it because my boss was sitting right next to me! And he would occasionally lean over and say something when I had just dozed off! Ugh. I've got to figure out some way to not fall asleep during meetings. Maybe I will have to go back to doodling like I did when I was still in college. It worked then.
Monday night we had the joy to meet up with my friends, Elysa and Lake, that live in DC for dinner! We met them at a Spanish restaurant and ate tapas. It was very different, but very good. And of course the company was superb! It was so fun to catch up with my former, laugh-at-our-yoga-class, roommate!
Wednesday morning was the best part of my conference!
Among our visits on Capitol Hill, we took pictures in front of the Supreme Court building and went into the Library of Congress to check out the main reading room. So amazing. But they wouldn't let us take pictures. That was kind of a bummer - but it makes
After Capitol Hill, mom and I took our box lunches my conference provided back to our hotel and watched a little movie (For Love of the Game) on TV and was nearly tempted to finish watching it. But when we saw that it didn't get over until 3:30 pm and we still had to see all of the monuments, we took off. So we started with the Washington Monument, then the World War II Memorial, Vietnam Wall (loved it), Lincoln Memorial, Korean War Memorial (just a tad weird), Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial (this one would have been super cool if the waterfalls would have been
Then we flew home early the next morning! It was a whirlwind trip - I am finding that is the usual case with me and my vacations. I think some day I need to take a whole week trip and just have a relaxing time such that I come back and don't say, "It was a whirlwind trip." Maybe this summer sometime. Hawaii anyone?? :o)
5 comments:
It was so great to see you in Washington! I am glad that you had a great trip. Lake and I enjoyed having dinner with you and your mom. I hope you find your way back to DC soon!
i'm down for hawaii.
Too fun! I heart D.C.
You did sooo much while you were there. What a fun trip. DC is such a part of my heart!
Oh, and the movie is Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (I think) with Jimmy Stewart. I thought your title was very clever. :)
Post a Comment