Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Stars Have Aligned for me to Return to Europe!!

It is true! I just bought my ticket last night!! My good friend, Jed, and I are going to Europe at the end of April!! We will fly into Zurich, Switzerland and then out of Rome, Italy. Oh . .. my ... gosh!! I have to pinch myself to make me realize that it is for real and it is going to happen!!

Jed has to go to Switzerland for some business and so put on his facebook status to see if anyone wanted to join him and I emailed him to find out when he was going and get the details and so here we go!!! It always makes me a little nervous to go on such big traveling trips, but how often does an opportunity like this come along??? And with people that are willing and ready to commit to actually going?? And can afford it, and our work schedules allow it, and the price isn't too hard to swallow, and you want to go to the same places, and I could name off a whole list of stars that have to align for it to actually happen. Thankfully I had already started saving for my mountain bike that I wanted to buy this spring, but the mountain bike will have to wait a little longer.... but not too much longer since we all have the tax rebate coming this year!! Woo hoo for the government's economic stimulus plan!

Anyway, our tentative plan is to do this:
  • Fly into Zurich, Switzerland and romp around the town for a good portion of the day and then rent a car and drive to Bern, Switzerland
  • Jed will do his business in Bern and then we'll do some stuff there.
  • Catch a train the next day to Salzburg, Austria and check out the home of the Sound of Music - I have been dreaming of doing this for years!!
  • Catch another train to Venice, Italy and spend some time there checking out the Grand Canal and everything else that Venice is famous for
  • Catch another train to Rome, Italy and see the Vatican City and Colosseum...
Oh happy day! But that is only tentative. We've also been playing with the idea of Prague. But time is sooooo limited! I can only take off 6 working days so we'll be crunched for time. But Jed has never been to Europe and I haven't been to most of those places and so we are going to try to fit in as much as we possibly can. Any travel advice?? Oh and enjoy the pics of the things we will probably be seeing in a little more than a month!!

Zurich, Switzerland Bern, SwitzerlandSalzburg, AustriaVenice, Italy Rome, Italy

8 comments:

Mike said...

you sure are traveling a lot these days! europe would be awesome!

Natalie said...

OH MY GOODNESS - I'm so darn jealous. you had better post TONS of photos upon your return - and send me a post card - seriously, the shopping ALONE makes me drool.

Jen said...

I am so jealous! I haven't ever been able to travel outside the U.S and I would love to go to these kind of places. I'll be so anxious to see your photos when you return.

Jeremy said...

Like I said, thats fantastic! I love you Jess! :)

Jen said...

I'm fuji green with envy! Congratulations.

Larkin said...

you are going to europe with a boy! hooray :)

Michelle said...

Ha ha, in my reply to your email I asked where you were going. Here is a list!

While Prague is one of my favorite places that I've visited, it doesn't sound like you have time to fit it in. It's a 5 or 6 hour train ride from Salzburg, I believe. Definitely add Hallstatt though. It's way closer, lovely and inexpensive.

I always love to discuss European travel with anyone, but we only spent a few hours in Bern and Salzburg...so I'm not really of any help there. My husband has marked quite a few things in GoogleEarth though. You can get the files on his website www.exploreglobe.net.

Are you getting a Eurail pass? That made travel easy for us, but we rode a train almost everyday. I'd also suggest packing light because it's a pain to haul a lot of stuff around when you don't have a car. Ty and I did 10 days with one backpack each.

Anyway, good luck!

Jesse said...

What! Amazing, Jess. Jealous is a word that comes to mind. Yeah, I may need to go repent now, or something. I'm so excited for you.

Time to Retire this Blog

I regret to inform you all, that I've decided it is time to retire this blog. I blogged on here for nearly 11 years! It's crazy to t...