Sunday, November 15, 2009

Random "Lately" Thoughts

We got our first real snowfall yesterday. I usually take a picture out in it... but ... meh. What's wrong with me?! That is a tradition of mine. Guh! We've seen snow fly before but it didn't stick like this one did. Yay for snow! And Yay for my favorite season.


So BYU is still in a hiring freeze... and we just received notice from a woman in my department that she is leaving. The work she is doing happens to be our vice president's pet project... so needless to say it is my big boss's pet project as well and he doesn't want to see it fall by the wayside. So guess who they asked to take over her job? A job I know nothing about!?! Yeah. Me. She is an On-line Training and Development Consultant in our Human Resource Development department. So yeah... nothing to do with my current job. But I guess my big boss discussed it with all the directors in HRS and they all decided that I would be the best one to replace her since I'm a quick-learner, have a really good technical aptitude, good influencing skills and good organization skills - those were all adjectives that they used to describe me apparently. I'm kind of excited about it... but I'm also really nervous. I'm only going to get 6 days of training with her. But I was thinking about it Friday morning, and you know what? I'm getting the best aspects of moving to Seattle ... a new place to live which happens to be my own place and a new job! And none of the scary aspects... the stress of making new friends, the rainy weather (which I don't think I would have really minded), the stress of dealing with a vastly different work environment, etc.


I got my season pass to Sundance in the mail this last week... the picture is horrible! It is orange. Good grief.


I'm set to close on my condo on Tuesday. Yay! Exciting. I'll get the keys then but I won't be able to take possession until Saturday so I'm planning on taking this week to get the carpets cleaned and clean the whole place thoroughly while it is empty. So I went to Wally-world (Wal-mart) yesterday to buy the cleaning supplies I needed... holy cow. It was so fun to pick out the cleaning supplies! I know. I'm a nerd.


I bought a couple books that I've really enjoyed flipping through - Pottery Barn's "Home" which is all about planning living spaces throughout your home and of course it has beautiful pictures and ideas for decorating. And Martha Stewart's "Homekeeping Handbook" which has everything in it that you can imagine - from setting the table for a fancy dinner to maintaining your furnace. Very cool - I stayed up until 3 am looking through all 700 pages of that last one.


And if you are still reading this... then I can tell you an update on my time-occupier, John. We're not together anymore. It wasn't really a quick relationship, even though I just barely mentioned him on my blog. In fact it was a roller-coaster for 7 months... maybe 8 months. I just have a policy of not mentioning boyfriends on my blog until it seems like it might be a long enough or stable enough relationship to broadcast on the internet. :) We dated back in April, broke up, couldn't get over each other all summer, and then we got back together late October... now we've broken up again and hopefully it is for good this time. It's probably for good since he de-friended me on Facebook... which that little action bugs/hurts me more than being broken up. Weird. Don't worry about me... the Lord is carrying me right now and I actually feel pretty good considering the circumstances.


Happy quiet, snowy Sabbath everyone!

4 comments:

Robyn said...

Congrats on the promotion! I'm glad you have a lot of great things going on to distract you from your previous time-occupier. I can't wait to see pictures of your new place!

Anonymous said...

I second the congrats on the promotion - that's awesome! And I love to pick out cleaning supplies too. I may not love to use them as much as you, but picking them out is fun. And you are going to be super busy here, which IS going to be a great distraction - so yay for good timing. :)

Alisha said...

Jess, sorry to hear about the last time occupier, that's never fun. But it's always fun to be on the homestretch to buying your first place. Congrats also on the new role--so who are you reporting to now? It seems things have shaken up quite a bit since my days there.

Our Ohana said...

Wow, that's awesome about the job, Jess, they must think pretty highly of you! I'm so excited to see pictures of your new home and how you end up decorating it!!!

Sorry about the emotional roller-coaster with your relationship! These things can be so messy sometimes. It looks like at least the other aspects of your life are definately looking up!

Time to Retire this Blog

I regret to inform you all, that I've decided it is time to retire this blog. I blogged on here for nearly 11 years! It's crazy to t...