Over Memorial Day weekend a few friends and I went backpacking through Grand Gulch in southeastern Utah. We put one car at Bullet Canyon trail head where we would come out of the canyon and began our hike at the Collins Spring trail head on the other side. So it was a one-way 33-mile hike.
I did such an awesome job packing for it. I'm super proud of myself. My pack was only a 38 liter pack and didn't weigh 30 lbs. I did wear the same clothes for three days - but it was only 3 days and 2 nights in the canyon so there was no need to pack heavy. I needed all the advantage I could get since I knew I would be the slowest hiker there.
The first day was pretty cool except for hiking through all the sand. We did take a wrong turn down the wrong canyon which would have taken us down to the San Juan River to the south - when we needed to go east. But we got it figured out before too long and only added 1.5 miles to our hike that day - although we were trying to get 12-14 miles in that day.
The third day was the best day of hiking, very little sand and very little thick vegetation. And only 7 miles. We climbed up through a slick rock wash at the very end and that was pretty cool. We really tested my water filter's ability to filter water: the canyon was pretty dry and didn't have very much running water at all. So two out of the three times that we filtered water to drink and cook with it was from potholes that had tadpoles swimming around in... yuck. But my filter worked like a champ and we didn't get sick. I'll be replacing the actual filter portion of my water filter though.... it got pretty slow at pumping water by the end and I figure that is because the filter is clogged with all the stuff we didn't want to drink.
We counted 17 ruins that we saw! That is what Grand Gulch is famous for. Have you heard of Mesa Verde and the Anasazi ruins there? Well, Grand Gulch is chuck-full of ruins similar to the ones at Mesa Verde. The ruins were home to the Anasazi people sometime around 900-1200 AD. And you could walk up to these ruins and really check them out.
Lindsey & I checking out an Anasazi home
The three lost ladies of Step Canyon
Our rescuer coming to save us from Step Canyon (re-enacted)
Wild roses! What a lovely surprise.
Trying out an Anasazi bed
In the Anasazi Jail House
Going down into the Perfect Kiva
Lindsey and I in the slick rock wash at the end of our hike.
My 4X4 Honda Accord - made over the majority of this "high clearance required" road to pick up Lindsey's XTerra.
1 comment:
Love the pics!! I love hiking! I'll have to try it out there sometime!! I'm glad you had a great time! Love ya girl!
Post a Comment