Monday, September 03, 2012

Laid Back Labor Day

I ended up not having any big plans for Labor Day weekend. Originally, I had plans with some friends to go hike the Narrows in Zion National Park, but too many of them bailed to still try to go. Then I tried to make plans to go camping Friday night up American Fork canyon, but then I just drug my feet for some reason. Saturday morning at 5:30 the reason for dragging my feet struck - a monstrous thunderstorm with serious lightning, hail, and thunder. That would have been miserable in a tent - for sure.

So instead, I went mountain biking at Sundance with Dorothy on Friday night - in a little rain storm, but it was heaven-sent, not obnoxious. Saturday, Janie and I went to the Swiss Days festival in Midway where we ate some serious food (I had knockwurst - bratwurst with sauerkraut) and some even more serious booth shopping for hours where I found some cute little cloth-covered button earrings. We also listened to some performers, one of which was a professional yodeler! Check out the short video below - he's wearing lederhosen!


On Monday, I took Jen and Spencer up American Fork canyon to hike to Silver Lake. I was pretty excited about this because we'd have to drive up a dirt road to get to the trail head so that meant I got to take Ruby on her first real dirt road experience - one with a purpose anyways. So we drove all the way up to the trail head - having a blast the whole way - and then we discovered the trail was closed. Bummer-rillo! The hike is so beautiful too. I was really looking forward to taking Jen and Spencer up there. But they are doing maintenance on the little dam that holds the lake in so they closed it to the public and they don't know when it will be open again. So we found some other trail and hiked it for a while until we found a nice shady spot, sat down, ate our lunch, and then hiked back down. Not quite the same adventure, but it was nice to be out in the woods. We stopped at Tibble Fork Reservoir to dip our toes and Spencer, his whole body, in the quite cold waters. We ended the adventure by driving the rest of the way over the Alpine Loop (since Jen and Spencer have never been over it) and down to Sundance where we stopped to get some frozen yogurt and refreshments.
Spencer chilling out in Tibble Fork Reservoir

Me and Jen on the Alpine Loop with a pretty view

Then I ended my day by doing some homework. Not a fabulous ending, but it's gotta be done!

No comments:

Time to Retire this Blog

I regret to inform you all, that I've decided it is time to retire this blog. I blogged on here for nearly 11 years! It's crazy to t...