Friday morning, Joni and I sat around and talked for hours: catching up, decompressing, and all that good sisterly conversation stuff. Then we jumped up and went shopping. She was so excited to help me pick out and buy my outfit for the New Year's Eve Gala that I'm going to this year. We found a turquoisey lace shirt with sequins on it, a matching necklace, and these awesome glittery heels. You'll have to wait until New Year's Eve to see my full outfit.
Then that night Adam and Ethan took Joni and I to the gun range in Katy - where they used to live 15 years ago! We bought the most hideous zombie and hogzilla targets, and Joni showed us how it was done with the 357 revolver by hitting the zombie in the head repeatedly. The range worker told Adam he had better watch his back with her in the house! :) I shot the 357 too, as well as the 9 mm, but only a couple of times. I've decided I'm content to let the menfolk shoot the big, loud, kicking guns. Give me a field, some clay pigeons, and a 22 and I'll play along a little longer. But it was fun to see Adam and Ethan having such a ball.
Saturday, we all packed up and went to the Natural Bridge Caverns near San Antonio and toured them. They were really cool! And it was really hot - although not as hot as it could be for sure. The weather was supposedly pretty decent while I was there: 80s and humid. But it was hot to me! Then after that, Ethan and I went on the zip line outside of the caverns. We wrapped up the day by going to Cabela's. The guys checked out the guns and cross-bows while Joni and I roamed around the home decor, clothes, and candy. :)
Sunday was church, a nap, a video tour of their house, family home evening brought to you by me, and a very adventurous trip to the wildlife reserve. We waited until dusk to go check out the reserve thinking we might see animals - and we did! As soon as we crossed the bridge, we saw an armadillo cross the sidewalk and start digging into the ground. Ethan, and even Joni, took off running to get a closer look at it before it disappeared into the bushes. So I took off running too all while trying to follow Adam's mandate of keeping the flashlight on it so it will be paralyzed by the light. We got up within a few feet of it and just as I was about to take its picture, it jumped into the bushes. :( It was so cool and cute! Then we continued our walk for a while without flashlights and all the while it was getting creepier by the minute because I had visions of hogzilla (a wild hog as big as one ton) chasing after me or me stepping on a fire ant hill since we were on a dirt-packed path by then. We finally turned around and when we did, we think we saw a coyote on the path ahead of us, but we weren't sure since we only saw its eyes in the reflection of the flashlight.
On Monday, Joni and I went to Galveston and did a little shopping and went to the beach. Joni found the cutest little tea towels that had "Sisters make the best friends" stitched on them. She got one for all of us sisters since, truly, all of us are best friends. Then the beach was awesome! We basically had it all to ourselves since there was only one other family on it. The air and water temperatures were perfect! Not too hot and not at all cold. I never got goose bumps - even when wet and out of the water. I tried out Ethan's skim board - unsuccessfully. And Joni and I body-surfed or boogie boarded in the waves. It was such a pleasure to be there and just enjoy each other's company and not have to worry about anyone else being there and feeling self-conscious of what we look like in our swimsuits. Then that night was another adventure: Joni cooked up some of their alligator for me and the guys for dinner!! It was quite delicious! She cooked it up like chicken nuggets.
Overall, the weekend was lovely. I love visiting Joni and Adam!!

No comments:
Post a Comment