Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A China Miracle?

  1. Getting a roommate the day I find out about this China trip and being able to save nearly every penny of my rental income 
  2. $3,000 for airfare, loding, tuition, side trips, and half of my food, all for six weeks (or less in my case) in Xiamen, China 
  3. Getting the green light from work to go and work while I'm there so I can lengthen my time there
  4. Interviewing for the study abroad with the program director and professor and then being told that I can pretty much count on going
  5. Being told that my tuition benefit through BYU will help pay for part of the $3,000 (I'm talking about maybe $1,000!) 
Is all this adding up to be an amazing trip or what?! I can't believe it. It feels like this is being handed to me on a silver platter . . . as if I am meant to go. I don't think I could have been able to pull this off if I were in any other postion in human resources at BYU. My job is so internet-based and so independent contributor, in fact, that is one of the main arguments Tim, my director, used with my big boss, Forrest, to allow me to go. Is it way off base to think that maybe I declined the great-position-swap Forrest asked me to participate in last March in order to allow me to go on this trip to China?! I thought I declined because I might be moving next year and I suppose I still could, but maybe not now that this trip is taking place. I just sent my commitment email to Catherine. So I'm going! This is so surreal. 

No comments:

Time to Retire this Blog

I regret to inform you all, that I've decided it is time to retire this blog. I blogged on here for nearly 11 years! It's crazy to t...