Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Fire & Ice New Year's Eve Retreat

Sledding (tubing) with Janie and new friends Suzanne and Nathan
Back in October 2012, Janie invited me to sign up with her for an LDS mid-singles New Year's Eve retreat at the Zermatt Resort in Midway, Utah. I sat on it for a while trying to decide if I wanted to go. I just knew it was going to be a meat market and probably ridiculous. I decided to go because I could be a wing-woman to Janie and just do the things that I wanted to do (like the ice skating, snowshoeing, and cross-country skiing).

XC Skiing with Wendy
Well, it was ridiculous and it was a meat market. But because I went with the right attitude - that I was there to support Janie, enjoy the outdoor activities, shun the activities I didn't want to do, and generally talk to people like I wouldn't ever see them again ... it was fun! Overall, I had a great time. I met some great people that I think I might actually do stuff with! And by the end, two guys asked for my phone number - which was kind of crazy since that was the last thing I expected to come out of this little event. One guy, Patrick, lives in South Jordan and I haven't heard from him since which doesn't surprise me since he has over 1,400 friends on Facebook (I have to admit that is kind of a turn-off for me). And the other guy, Mike, lives in Los Angeles and we've been in touch every day since. Mike is good friends with one of the girls that Janie and I roomed with and because we had a condo with a living room and kitchen it was comfortable to invite people over so Mike came over and ended up kind of being our fifth roommate since he spent so much time hanging out with us.  I've already hung out with one girl, Stephanie, that I met there - we went cross-country skiing together yesterday.
Snowshoeing with my new friend, Stephanie.

There were over 300 LDS mid-singles (ages 31-45) there and it seemed like the majority of them were divorcees. They held a dating workshop that I did not attend. Nor did I attend the kissing rugby - thank goodness because I was mortified just hearing about it. But I did attend the ice skating, the sledding, the meals, the fireside, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, and the New Year's Eve Gala. Oh man. It was a little weird to try and get my groove on dancing to gangster music while all dressed up in my fancy glitter shoes and sequin top. After 15 minutes, I was warmed up and doing okay. I think. :) I definitely rang in the New Year in a different fashion this year.
My fancy outfit purchased with Joni's help! 
Going to the gala - with Patrick, me, Kyle, Janie, Dave Dean, and Heather
Heather, Janie, and me at the gala
Janie, me, and Dave Dean - who kissed both Janie and I at the New Year! 

No comments:

Time to Retire this Blog

I regret to inform you all, that I've decided it is time to retire this blog. I blogged on here for nearly 11 years! It's crazy to t...