Monday, October 02, 2006

Canyoneering in Zions


My dream of going canyoneering finally came true! I didn't think it would since the summer is now over and the weather is looking so cool. Lindsey and I planned on a weekend in September to go, but as the time came closer the weather was looking more and more terrible, we are talking mid-60s for the high and even the first snow to fall in higher elevations. So, Lindsey and I kind of bailed on the idea, until her friend's car broke down. Her friend was going to go down regardless of me and Lindsey and her car broke down 20 miles from Zions. So the friend called Lindsey to see if Lindsey would come down and rescue them. Lindsey called me and I said I would go! We picked up the monster truck of the friend's boyfriend's and drove that down so he could tow the friends car back to Provo. See!! It really is a monster Tonka truck! Quite the adventure.

Since we were down there we decided that we would go ahead and do Keyhole canyon. Absolutely amazing! I thought the Narrows was amazing until doing this canyon. Now you must understand what canyoneering means: it m
eans we were repelling down into the slot canyon and most of the time it was into water--water that we had to swim through. With the low temperatures for that weekend we decided it was probably wise to rent wetsuits and I kept thanking my lucky 10 fingers and toes (which I like) that I had that wetsuit. Yes, I am carrying a 200 foot rope on my back. I felt like superwoman. Sometimes the slot canyon was as narrow as my shoulders!

The next day we hiked to Angel's Landing there in Zions National Park. Absolutely fabulously hard hike. Check it out! We had to scramble up this narrow ledge to get the top of it. I recommend it!

No comments:

Time to Retire this Blog

I regret to inform you all, that I've decided it is time to retire this blog. I blogged on here for nearly 11 years! It's crazy to t...