Monday, November 03, 2008

Mundane Monday - Politics & News of Today

Considering that Election Day is tomorrow and what all is at stake I feel inclined to write a little bit about my views. I'll mention it now: I am not well versed in things political. Honestly, I haven't taken much interest in it - that is until I need to take a stand in order to maintain my religious freedom, my morals/values and beliefs, my freedom of speech and all else that I hold dear. And I'll be short in my writing.

1. The Presidential Election of 2008 - John McCain vs. Barack Obama
First, I have a couple of guiding principles when I vote on a presidential candidate... (a lot of those happen to mirror what my friend, Jesse, put on her blog)
  • "Therefore, choose you by the voice of this people, judges, that ye may be judged according to the laws which have been given you by our fathers, which are correct, and which were given them by the hand of the Lord. Now it is not common that the voice of the people desireth anything contrary to that which is right; but it is common for the lesser part of the people to desire that which is not right; therefore this shall ye observe and make it your law - to do your business by the voice of the people." (Book of Mormon, Mosiah 29:25-26)
  • "A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have." ~Thomas Jefferson
  • "We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Will this candidate uphold the laws of God? His eternal truths? Those values I believe in? And will he uphold the Constitution of the United States of America? And the other correct laws that have been set forth previously?
The most divisive issue that falls within my above-mentioned principles, in the past, tended to be abortion (at least in my opinion), but this year marriage between one man and one woman happens to be on the ballot in California. I believe in traditional marriage between one man and one woman. Since my beliefs on these moral issues generally dictate who I vote for, that makes my decision pretty cut and dry - if ever there is a time where the presidential candidates agree on those moral, ethical, and eternal truth issues, then I will have a much harder time choosing and I will have to do a lot more homework.

2. Proposition 8 in California - Amending the California Constitution to Define Marriage Between One Man and One Woman

If I were a resident of California I would vote yes to support this proposition - in support of keeping marriage between one man and one woman. I'm not a resident and I will not be voting on it, but I have friends in California. Those friends have been bringing the campaign here to Utah in order to solicit help with campaigning. At first, I didn't fully understand why I needed to be involved since I am not a California resident, but what happens in California tends to trickle to the rest of the nation in years to come.

This issue seems to be the hot issue of this election year. Even my church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, has come out and made statements in support of Proposition 8 - which the church never takes a stand on political issues. This is huge. So huge that the opposition has resorted to violence and labeling - even to the point of calling supporters bigots and intolerant. Let's have a quick diversion to the dictionary:

Bigotry:

1. stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own.

Tolerance:

1. a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own, freedom from bigotry.

2. a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward opinions and practices that differ from one's own.
3. interest in and concern for ideas, opinions, practices, etc., foreign to one's own; a liberal, undogmatic viewpoint.


It appears as though the opposition is demanding uniformity, not tolerance.



I believe 100% that individuals with same-gender-attraction should have all the same civil rights and opportunities for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness as the next citizen on the street. Because Proposition 8 is a moral issue and an issue to protect my right to religious freedom, freedom of speech and most tangibly, my right as a future parent to teach tolerance, respect and love for all people from all walks of life in the manner I deem most appropriately - I have to take a stand. Legalization of same-sex marriage in Massachusetts has proven that all of those rights are taken away from those with my beliefs.

Links to check out:
Yes on 8's main website
Article by Orson Scott Card about bigotry and tolerance among other things
BYU Devotional given by Robert George of Princeton University about abortion, traditional marriage, the law and the government - his arguments are undeniable.

3 comments:

Canadian Princess said...

You did a great job on this post Jess!

Jesse said...

All such good points. What crazy times we live in!

Jen said...

Love this post. I'm totally with you.

Time to Retire this Blog

I regret to inform you all, that I've decided it is time to retire this blog. I blogged on here for nearly 11 years! It's crazy to t...