Saturday, March 21, 2009

Race Practicing - Mountain Biking Style

I've done something crazy. But not alone. Lindsey and I joined my roommate's, Jen's, mountain bike racing team. We full on committed to doing at least 4 races. Whoa. The team is with the Mad Dog's Cycle shop... and we even have a few sponsors. I bought a mountain bike. And so did Lindsey. I bought eggbeaters for pedals - those are the kind where you clip in with special cleats on your shoes. Double whoa. Last year I couldn't fathom going "clipless" on a mountain bike... but now that I've been clipless on a road bike and know how wonderful it is.... I'm missing it on my mountain bike. But the pedals should be coming in soon. So yeah. Crazy, huh? I'm not good. But Lindsey and I have a deal - we'll take turns being in last place! Ha! We're just going to pretend that the races are just fun casual mountain bike rides... except with a lot of people on the trail and going pretty fast. But we'll ride together... and like I said - take turns being in last place. :)

So with that said. We've had some fun over the past week... practicing and training for our first race - which is down in Hurricane on General Conference weekend (first weekend in April) - so it's coming up! Last Saturday we went to Lambert Park in Alpine, and then Tuesday night and today we went to the race course at the mouth of Provo Canyon. Well, actually Lindsey couldn't join us today. But Ashlee joined us Tuesday and me today! These have been her only two days mountain biking ever before and she rocked!! She did so well on the downhills - including the steepest and scariest one picture here in the "victory picture." What a great day to spend her birthday! Learning new things, picking up a new hobby she's gonna love and conquering fear itself!!

Jen and Dave joined
us as well to show us how it's done - they are wearing last year's team jersey - hopefully somewhat similar to what I'll be wearing and posting on this blog soon. Crazy, huh? Lindsey and I signed up mostly to make ourselves learn how to mountain bike. And so far ... it's working!

2 comments:

Jesse said...

Looks like scary fun! I can't imagine clipping into a mountain bike. I would kill myself for sure. But it makes the uphills a lot easier, right? You're awsome, Jess!

Camille said...

You go guys...

Time to Retire this Blog

I regret to inform you all, that I've decided it is time to retire this blog. I blogged on here for nearly 11 years! It's crazy to t...