I raced in one of my favorite races - Cholla Challenge in Hurricane, Utah. I think there are several of my teammates that don't like the course because it has sand and some nasty gravel in washes, but I looooooove how there is hardly any monster climbs! It's mostly just short climbs, short descents, and quite a bit of flats. I love it. I also figured out my strategy during this race: let everyone in my category take off like shotguns in the beginning and then catch up to them when they hit the first technical spot and that's when I'll pass them. Some of the other beginner women can't do the technical stuff so I let them try it and by the time I get to them they are walking their bikes and out of my way so I can do the stuff. I passed two people in my category with that strategy! I was so proud of myself! And then . . . as soon as I started down a descent, I wiped out. But thankfully I was able to stay ahead of these two girls and get some distance between us by the end of the race.
Kendra and I and a few other friends went for another ride afterward on the Jem trail. It's off the highway to Zion National Park and it's pretty dang fun! Kind a long false-flat climb, but a really fun downhill coming back. It's on this trail that I broke my chain and worked my front derailleur. Thankfully we had a friend with us who is a bike techy.
Oh and one more thing: every time I wear those white shorts I have to really "fake it until I make it" with my confidence! I hate those shorts! But they are part of our official 2010 team kit, so I had to wear them for our race, but hopefully not anymore! Our 2011 team kit is gonna be awesome! And the shorts will be all black.




1 comment:
That's awesome Jess!!! What an inspiration. I've wanted to try that for a while now... but I think I might need a bike first :-/
Post a Comment