Thursday, February 10, 2011

Hawaii Day 7 - Helicopter Ride & the Beach

Monday was our last day in Hawaii so Ashlee and I decided to live it up and go on a helicopter tour of a neighboring island, Molokai, and the west mountains area of Maui. Oh my gosh!! It was amazing!! I am so glad we went. We were able to see an 1,100-foot waterfall on Molokai that you can't see except by helicopter, and he flew over the mountains, over whales and sting rays, told us about the leper colony that was on Molokai, told us about the populations of Maui, Molokai and Lanai.... oh yes. It was amazing.

And I just have to throw in the random picture of the roosters. Those are stray roosters.... like you would see stray dogs roaming around. Roosters were all over the island! I couldn't believe it. These particular roosters were roaming around the heliport and hangar of the company we flew with. Kind of funny.

And then we rented body-boards again and went back to the beach. We just couldn't get enough of that. And this is the day when I sunburned my feet pretty good. They've been swollen ever since. Oh well. Life goes on!

Overall, we had a fabulous time. We lucked out with beautiful weather the entire time we were there - it only sprinkled once on us on Sunday. We saw nearly every inch of the island. We loved their shave ice, the music, the food, and everything! Even the airline employees at the airport were so nice. My mother ship of a suitcase was grossly overweight. So me, Janette, Teresa, and the airline lady were trying to come up with ways to lighten my bag so I wouldn't be charged the $100 fee on top of the normal $25 fee. So I was unabashedly exposing my suitcase contents and dirty laundry to all the world trying to figure out a solution. We finally put my two beach towels and snorkeling set in my laundry bag and then inside a plastic airline bag and I checked that as a separate piece. And then I also filled up two bags for my carry-ons and then I was finally under weight. This was my first time flying with my mother ship since I went on my study abroad to London... it was not hard to get it over the max weight of 50 lbs. I swear they've dropped the max weight. I swear it was 75 lbs when I went to London.... but then again that was 11 years ago.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I loved Molokai. That was my favorite area, because the people are so awesome.

The chickens are everywhere partially because there is a lot of illegal cock fighting. HI and UT are the only two states where gambling is illegal, so that's how they squeeze some in over there.

Natalie said...

oh jessika - your hawaii trip looks so amazing - the perfect blend of relaxation and adventure! loved seeing your photos - you documented your trip so well. hugs from virginia!

Our Ohana said...

I love that you know how to say "shave ice" - that could give you kama'aina status, girl! I'm loving the story of your trip, it makes me so homesick for Hawaii!

Time to Retire this Blog

I regret to inform you all, that I've decided it is time to retire this blog. I blogged on here for nearly 11 years! It's crazy to t...